RE: [TCML] Terry Filter Gound

It probably comes down to how robust your transformer is, insulation-wise, rather than what power level it generates.  Could also be that a 15kV NST needs protection more than a 4kV NST, as there is less margin in the insulation.  But in more practical terms, I think folks tend to use a filter if they feel their transformer is not something they can afford to loose.  If you've got a shelf full of NST's waiting to be used, you're probably not going to bother with a Terry filter.  MOT's are both low on the voltage scale and relatively plentiful, so unlikely candidates for filter protection, despite being at least 1000W.

A more interesting question would be - at what power level should one use a dedicated RF ground.  But I gave no good advice for that one!  Probably depends on whether you have a house full of critical, expensive medical electronics.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

<snip>