From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of futuret@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 5:06 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gaps (again)

Dennis,

For longest output sparks and best TC efficiency in that regard,
it's best to choose low gap losses over fast quenching.  Fast
quenching is nice, but not if one has to sacrifice low gap losses.
As long as quenching is adequate, that's all that is important.
Most small coils quench on the 3rd rf beat or notch point.  This
is fine.

Sometimes you'll hear the concept of "overquenching" mentioned.
Such as thing does not exist in practice.  What is often refered to
as overquenching really refers to a situation where there is excessive
airflow or airblast such that it interferes with the firing of the gap.
Thus the gap fires erratically under these conditions.  It sputters.

If however the gap runs too hot, then it will begin to fire at a lower
voltage, and the spark output will diminish.  So it's important to
cool a gap adequately.  For a small coil, just the ambient air may
be sufficient.

   http://futuret.110mb.com

The hyperbaric gap is an excellent design because it offers low losses
and
adequate quenching and cooling.

John