Re: [TCML] Streamer development recorded with high speed camera

Hi David,

Interesting videos - thanks for sharing them. I suspect there are at least two effects at work.

First, for streamers that almost or just barely connect, you'll notice short, seemingly isolated, brighter segments with more diffuse discharges coming off each end. These brighter regions are called "space stems" and "space leaders". They appear as sharply defined bright segments that are actually isolated bright leaders that are supplied bu current from burst corona coming off each end (negative corona on the end closest to ground, and positive corona on the end facing the approaching main negative leader). These are a normal part of the propagation process for negative leaders (where the HV terminal/discharge is negative wrt ground).

As the leader propagates, the space leader becomes longer by expanding in both directions, finally merging with the main leader from the HV terminal. If the Tesla coil reached its maximum negative potential before the space leader merged with the main leader, further propagation stops and we can easily the stranded space leader. Although space leaders are more readily visible with high speed equipment, they can also become noticeable with the unaided eye when the spark is nearing its limit for the applied voltage, or when the capacitance of the voltage source is comparatively low, limiting follow-through current. A description of them can be seen here (part of an excellent paper, "Fundamental Processes in Long Air Gap Discharges" by I. Gallimberti, et. al.):

http://www.capturedlightning.com/temp/Longgap1_5.pdf

If a leader fully connects, you may see part, or all, of the "return stroke" as a low impedance path to ground rapidly removes space charge from the newly connected leader. There is a sudden jump in current at the far end beginning from ground, and up the channel, making the return stroke significantly hotter (and brighter) than the previous connecting leader. Given sufficient time and voltage, the return stroke will flow all the way back to the topload, forming a bright and evenly lit spark or arc. However, if the topload voltage just peaked when the final jump occurred, and the connection is weak, the total leader channel resistance and declining topload voltage may prevent the return stroke from progressing very far up the leader channel. In this case, you'll see localized brightening for only a short distance from the ground while the rest of the spark retains the dimmer appearance of lower current air leaders - just the effects seen in the video clip when the leaders are just barely connecting.

Bert
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by huge
magnetic fields, Lichtenberg Figures (our "Captured

David Kronstein wrote:
Hey guys,

I took an interesting video today, running my DRSSTC and high speed camera at the same rate, 120Hz. This allows you to see the development of the streamers burst by burst.

Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUkeVj8WTQ0

Higher quality AVI:
http://4hv.org/e107_files/public/1235979158_347_FT0_tesla.avi

It takes a few pulses to grow the streamer enough to make contact with the duct on the left (~1m distance). I also notice a brighter, frantic arc action near the duct. I've seen this brighter section near the end on Van de Graaff sparks too. Any idea what causes it?

David