Re: [TCML] Need coil winding advice x

I wound my first coil in a bedroom pillow.  I was in high school and had not lathe or equipment that was 40 years ago.  Push the coil form into the pillow so the pillow wraps around the coil form about 1/3 of way.  Tape the wire to the end and start turning the coil form.  The pillow holds the wire in place so it does not slip and it stays tight.  Put a piece of tape on the wire about every inch just for insurance to make sure the wire stays tight and in place.  You can have the coil wound by hand quicker than you think.  You can turn the coil form by hand or you can attach a crank handle to the end of the coil form.  Be sure to paint the coil with polyurethane varnish when your finished.  A small change is air temperature and your wire will expand and all the wire will slide off the coil form in a pile at one end if you do not paint it with varnish to make sure it stays in place.  2 or 3 coats of varnish works best.

Gary Weaver