Re: [TCML] Sudden and unexplained destructive racing spark flashovers

Over coupling is one cause of racing sparks.  It produces more than one HV
point near the top 1/4 of the coil which can cause local ionization and
eventual flashover in this area.

Second, and perhaps most ignored reason is sodium salts on the sec coil.
This is caused by handling coils with your bare hands and not wearing
plastic or cloth gloves.

Some people have slightly oily skin, and this, combined with a bit of skin
sweat salts is a low resistance conductor.  A single finger print could
cover 10-20 turns along a sec coil.
Now, add another 3-4 finger prints and you have a nice gapped series of
conductors.  Welcome to flashover city!!

Dr. Resonance