Re: [TCML] Sudden and unexplained destructive racing spark flashovers

Hi Adam,

I must admit that I am not as diligent as I should be about
wiping down the secondary (really should wipe down both
secondary and primary coil surfaces) and this too could have
been a contributing factor. Hopwever, I had already been
running it on and off for probably 30 minutes before this oc-
curred, so that would also seem to pale as a GOOD expla-
nation for what happened to me. Of course, the weakened
dielectric standoff may have been just on the brink of break
down when finally, the "straw broke the camel's back". ;^0
Pre-wiping down of the secondary IS something that I AM
going to concentrate on making a regular "setup" procedure
before firing my coil in the future, though.

Thanks for the input,
David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yurtle Turtle" <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2009 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Sudden and unexplained destructive racing spark flashovers

Do you wipe your secondary down before using it? Mine gets quite dusty in the garage, and it even manages to get bird poop on it from wrens looking for a place to nest.

As to the humidity, I guess that's a possibility, but we have 25 kV switchgear at work operating just fine in the humidity with no problem. The gear has space heaters, to keep the temperature above the dew point in the winter. If your at 90 degrees, I don't think you are in danger of being in a condensing environment.