From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jim Mora
Sent: 26 June 2009 22:10
To: 'Tesla Coil Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [TCML] Secondary form material

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear about the acrylic form cracking. It is a good choice as the
frequency gets high. HDPE and polypropylene are low loss but hard to keep
the windings secure. Polystyrene is a good, cheap choice, but hard to find
in .125". Polycarbonate is bullet proof(pun intended) but is has more loss
than acrylic at HF. Of most importance, what kind of frequencies are you
running at anyway? There are several sources on ebay for "acrylic tube".

Generally, the group concenses seems to be that .125 PVC or even thicker
wall coated with Dolphs or polyurethane, to keep moisture out of the former,
works well enough for most applications and is cheap!

There are several sites that list the dielectric strength and losses of
several plastic choices.

It would be a good engineering exercise to calculate what are acceptable
losses at your frequency!

BTW, there are several ways to safely cut acrylic. I have heard milk is a
good cutting fluid. I use a hand saw. Most people make the one time mistake
of cleaning poly or acrylic with acetone or lacquer thinner which
immediately causes chasing. Guess how I know :-)

Regards and thorough education,
Jim Mora