Re: [TCML] NST Purchase

Gary - I got it :  I mean no GFI ,  Regards, Fritz
And thank you Finn, for the E-Bay link, I shall buy NST`s from him.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2009 8:43 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] NST Purchase

Hi Fritz,

While it would be nice not to have the secondary midpoint tied to ground, there's a very good reason that this is done. It's much easier and economical to have two secondary coils insulated to 7.5kV from case ground, than to have a single coil (or two tied in series) that are insulated to 15kV.

A compromise might be if the NST were designed with the inner lead of each of the two secondaries _moderately_ insulated from the core, to an external connection that we would connect to RF ground. This would allow the user to tie the case to mains ground, and to tie the secondary midpoint to a separate RF ground. It would probably be a good practice to connect a HV-rated choke between the RF and case grounds as a safety mechanism, in case the RF ground connection was broken.

However, my suspicion is that any NST manufacturer with assets worth protecting is not going to build a small quantity of non-standard product that does not meet existing safety requirements. Fun to dream though!

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA