RE: [TCML] Please help with my non-working tesla coil.

Hi Chester,

We'll need to know a lot more before we can diagnose the problem.  Is there a way you can post detailed photos of your coil, in particular the spark gap, and relationship of primary & secondary coils?  There should never be sparks between the pri & sec.

When you chose the tap point for the primary, was this based on an observation that performance seemed better at that tap than with more or fewer turns?  In other words, do you have any idea if you are in tune?

Assuming that the stated inductances are correct, we can calculate the primary frequency, but to calculate the secondary frequency we'd need to know the dimensions of the top load.

For your spark gap, is the 4mm the total spacing (sum of individual gaps)?  The typical method of setting the gap width is to set it so that it just fires when only the NST is connected to the gap.

A polypropylene MMC is without doubt a much better choice than a bottle cap.

Adding forced airflow through the spark gap usually helps, but I'll reserve that comment until I see photos.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA