Re: [TCML] gold secondary

earl rhodes skrev:
finn

thats really nice !! but does the gold not flake off during operation of the coil i would have thought it would come off easily when a strike happens if this is not the case then i will do this instead it looks really nice
cheers

earl
Earl,

I cannot say for sure.

The toroid is a copper custom job of my own device, and it is first chrome plated, then guilded.

This coil has 6 breakout points, spaced 60 degrees apart on the front of the toroid. They are individually controlled by a show controller, so that the sparks are directed to different directions each time, for a more varied viewing experience.

Since the sparks originate from the breakout point, and not the surface of the toroid, the toroid itself is saved from most of the burden of conducting into the streamer load.

The streamers, however, frequently leave the breakout point and wander up to the top of the toroid, and in doing this, leave a slightly dusty track.

It should be noted that the coil is running 8/24 and 1/10 duty cycle, so it is heavily loaded.

What I mean to say is this: In a hobby coil, I doubt the gold will be tarnished to an unsightly level.
And flaking of the gold sounds like an improbable reaction.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Finn Hammer