From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Andrew Robinson
Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 2:39 PM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Primary Generated Field and Coupling Coefficient

Has anyone ever mapped out the fields produced by the three different
primary coils? Is so could you PLEASE send me a link to some images or
results. What factors determine the primary geometry thats best suited
for a coil. It seems there are a lot of helical primaries on big coils,
and flat pancake primaries on medium coils. Do inverse conical primaries
achieve better efficiency? Ultimately the transfer between coils is
dependent on the change of flux, but it seems situating the secondary in
a region of closer field lines will ultimately achieve better
efficiency. Helical primaries tend to produce vertical field lines much
like an ideal solenoid, whereas flat pancake primaries produce a more
torus shaped field (Just off top of my head) The inverse primary seems
to be a good middle man between the two.  Finally, can someone point me
towards the formula to determine coupling coefficient? I've heard ideal
is between .05 and .2. I need a formula to determine where I sit
currently in order to make adjustments. Thanks

~Andrew