Re: [TCML] Jacob's Ladder

In a message dated 1/31/09 12:46:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jeremy_runescape@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>hey  all, i just wanted to ask if it is possible to create a jacob's ladder
circuit  with a NST and MOT in >parallel, the NST to supply the HV for
improved arc  initiation, and the MOT for increased amperage >for larger, more
sustained  arcs.

    I think that's an interesting idea, but would  probably only be practical
if you consider the NST as a trigger for the Jacobs  Ladder.
    Hook the MOT across the main JL electrodes, and  connect the NST HV
terminal to an electrode between the main JL electrodes. The  trigger electrode can
be a small needle or piece of wire. I'd use a single-ended  NST (or flyback,
or induction coil) and tie the grounded end of the NST (or  whatever) to the
same JL electrode as the grounded end of the MOT  secondary.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities