[TCML] New high voltage source for VTTC

Hi list

I am slowly building a new VTTC with a big russian tube (GU5B) and I needed a more powerful high voltage transformer to power it. Unfortunately I have only small MOTs with different outputs, so it would be hard to simply parallel them.

So, I designed a powersource, using the MOTs I have in hand. The doubler cap will charge at the higher voltage from the biggest MOT and the currents will add to another through some unidirectional paths (using HV diodes). I tryed the new source with one of my VTTCs and the results seem to be satisfactory.

The design discussion, drawings, setup pics and movies are published here:

http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?60496

The suggestion from the forum guys was simply parallel the MOTs, because the power dissipation from the leaking current would be too small to consider, but I was worry to not loose power (the output difference from the MOT secondaries was 92 V at full mains voltage = 220 V). Another variant was to take off the shunts and modify the number of turns in the MOT primaries, but I was too afraid to not damage the xfrms (it is hard to get them here). So, maibe I have chosen the complicated way, but still it seems to work.

teslina