Re: [TCML] Calibrating a sync spark gap

In a message dated 1/25/09 2:58:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
karl.thorkildsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>The  bolts are mounted through the G10 with some washers as cooling fins,
and
>titanium rods stuck through held in place with the set  screws.

    Titanium has 1/50 the conductivity of copper, and  about 1/10 the
conductivity of Tungsten alloys.
    Titanium also has a melting point 1/2 that of  Tungsten.
    Why did you pick Titanium? Low mass? Of course,  Titanium can be 1/5 the
price of Tungsten - depending on the form.

    For electrolytic cells we use Titanium-clad Copper  bar. The Titanium
protects the Copper from dissolving, and the Copper provides  conductivity. Even
though it's expensive bar, it's cheaper than using the  equivalent
cross-section of Titanium for the same conductivity.

    Please keep us posted as to how it turns out - I  don't recall anybody
using Titanium electrodes in Tesla service before.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities