RE: [TCML] Terry Filter Resistors

It's not obvious, but the resistors in a Terry filter need to stand off a very high voltage.  The TO-247 case is definitely not up to the high voltage transients.  The fact that these units are non-inductive is of no value in this application.  Resistors should be large, with a ceramic (not metal) body, as a metal body would compromise its voltage rating.  Think of it this way:  For a 2-sided Terry filter and a 15kV NST, the tank cap charges to about 21kV.  Each of the two bypass caps charge to about 10.5kV.  When the main gap fires (shorts), the 21kV across the two bypass caps is discharged into the two resistors in series, so each one sees a 10.5kV transient.

If one were to build a resistor out of several smaller units, the resistors should be in series, not parallel, so that the voltage rating of each unit can be smaller.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA