From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jeremy
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 8:56 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Building my first tesla coil

Greetings to all,

I have just started on tesla coil building, and as such am quite a dunce in
most aspects. So far i have managed to get 7 MOTs, 1 MOT cap, 1 NST rated 9
kV 30 mA, 1 large unrated NST, 26137 micro F worth of 400VDC caps, 216000
micro F worth of 350VDC caps (36x 350VDC 6000 micro F caps), 20350 micro F
worth of 200VDC caps, 18900 micro F worth of 150 VDC caps, 20600 micro F
worth of 100VDC caps as well as about 10 kg of 0.5mm magnet wire, all from
junk shops. One thing to note is that all those caps are polar aluminium
electrolytic types, so i don't know if they can be used in a tesla coil at
all. I also managed to pick up a power supply unit for a smashed He/Ne
laser, but doubt that will be of much good here.

I had half the mind to build a 15.4 kJ cap bank for EM propulsion, but
decided that I am untimately still more interested in building a tesla coil.
This is the first time I am meddling with HV stuff on this scale, and as
such i think i really need lots of good advice from experienced builders.

I am based in Singapore, and the local power supply is at 240V 50 Hz. I am
also trying to acquire a pole pig or 2, though those would have to be
imported as there are no overhead power lines here, as well as those big
ceramic power grid caps which would serve well in a big tesla coil.

Any design advice would be much appreciated.

thanks and regards,
jeremy