Re: [TCML] TAR

Hi Ed,

What was your technique when you tried the Paraffin? I have used Paraffin on 10 kV strobe trigger coils. I submerged the coils in the hot Paraffin for a long time. At first there was a steady stream of bubbles, but eventually they stopped. But I left the coils in much longer after that, like 1/2 hour. The Paraffin is really thin at high temp and it wicked into the multilayer coil really well. It is important that the entire coil get up to temperature so that the Paraffin does not solidify and trap air anywhere. These coils I had originally came from the manufacturer with Paraffin insulation, but it looked like they had only been dipped while the coil was cold so there was only a outer coating of Paraffin. There was sparking under the Paraffin on the first one I tried. After the thorough soaking there was no problems. If they ever got too hot though, it would be a problem as the Paraffin would run out.

Jeff

Ed Phillips wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the type of black "tar" used to pot transformers? Does anyone know the actual temperature at which it's poured into the transformers? Did a web search but got nowhere and suspect that roofing tar or pitch probably isn't suitable. I want to pot a couple of GMHEI transformers in a cylinder to simulate the secondary of a "spark coil" and don't want to mess with oil or the like. Paraffin wax doesn't work, at least for me, because of too many bubbles - I've tried pretty hard to get rid of them [with the exception of vacuum] without much luck.

Ed