Re: [TCML] X-ray cable best practices for feeder cable

In a message dated 1/5/09 7:48:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
wavetuner@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>Here we revisit a long,old thread: I have 60 feet of primo,  terminated 100KV
>x-ray cable.

    Is that 60 feet with a Federal connector at  each end?

>If the cable was say half as long, (.0015uf) I would use  these

>receptacles on both ends.

>It is evident I should cut the cable in half and likely strip back  the TC
>side for quick connection via threaded brass draw pull knobs at  the TC.

I cut an x-ray cable in half that was terminated  at both ends. Plug to bare
wire.
    I agree that it would be nice to have the plugs  on both ends, but
there's not much point in using the Federal wells at the TC  end. Eventually it's
going to be just exposed bare HV wire *somewhere* around  the TC. There's no
safety advantage, and really no insulation advantage. At a  measly 19kVAC, you
could put an automotive sparkplug boot on it.

>I'll post a picture of my 3p Nikkie missile transformer which has  18"
>insulators and is absolutely a Frankenstein-like tube PS if anyone  doubts
>that. This baby is DC via (6) 8020 tube rectifiers a 400H filter  choke ;-)

    Aargh, it's "Nike", like the shoes. Both named  for the Greek god of
speed (Mercury for you Romans). But if you have a certain  attachment to your
missile radar unit, we'll look the other way if "Nikkie" is  a term of endearment.
:)

>Additionally the HV supply cabinet will have  a 50 ohm 3KW  resistor bank
>(BIG) resistors - 110 ohm 20"x2.5"x (2) in parallel. This  will be tied to H1
>and go to a 4" 100 turn air coil inductor and out to  the TC per Dr. R's
>experience to reduce the speed of transients to the  primo PT via inductive
>reactance/impedance blumline effect.

>Does anyone know the blumline calaculations with a known capacitance?  No one
>seems to speak to the impedance of X-ray cable in 60hz so that  correct
>termination can be had sans all the reflected back  garbage.

    The EE's here are probably grinding their teeth  over your "blumline"