Re: [TCML] New high voltage source for VTTC- update

Hi list

Well...I have a guess, that my MOTs are weaker than I thought, so I measured the core section of each transformer. They are identical 3.5 cm x 6.7 cm, so a cross section of the core = 23.45 square centimeters, thats mean 549.9 watts each, so just a merely 1099 watts output with the two paralleled transformers.

So, I upgraded it with two new MOTs (they are completely different kinds):
- one with 3.5 cm x 6 cm core (21 square cm core section ) P = 441 watts
- another with 3.3 cm x 7 cm (23.1 square cm core section) P = 533.61 watts

Adding the two transformer in my setup would rise the max output power to a 2074 watts power capability. Had to add a new stage on the source.

The final result:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8369/nouasursa0qr1.jpg

Schema is here:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1536/nouasursa3hh4.jpg

The new source with a GU81 vttc together:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8837/nouasursa1ki9.jpg

The diodes are 22 kV @ 3 A each, doubler cap = 5 microF @ 2.5 kV
Filter cap = 10 nF @ 20 kV - not figured in the schema ( I made it 10 times more than the primary cap as Dr Spark suggested in his posts, now I am runing a primary cap = 714 pF)

Dr Kilovolt from 4 hv forum pointed me that the MOTs run with nearly 2x the magnetic flux in the core so they can put out more power with the same copper heating, so maibe I can output more power than calculated. If so, I am very pleased. Another way to support that point is that my 2 kW variac heats a lot, so maibe I have more power in the circuit.

Anyway, the results on the spark are great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAF-TmXxrkU&feature=channel_page

I run the same voltage on the doubler, but with higher current capability. The little movie shows very well how important is the power input for the vttc to get out a good spark. So not only the tube is important but the transformer you are using.

I can start now the construction of the new vttc.

teslina