Re: [TCML] Is It Polyethylene?

Thanks for the informative replies.  Good stuff all.  This list is a goldmine of accumulated knowledge & experience on nearly any technical subject.

Anyhow, I first ran a microwave oven test, 1 minute at full power.  I placed a small stack of my unknown plastic next to a cup of water.  The water nearly boiled.  The plastic did not warm up at all.  Whatever it is, it's perfectly transparent to 2450MHz RF.

Next I tried the flame test.  A strip of the stuff burned quickly with a smokeless yellow flame.  Little flaming bits dripped away with a "zipping" sound.  It smelled like hot candle wax.  It's polyethylene alright, or "polythene" to our UK cousins (so what happened to the missing "ethy", hmmm?)

Close inspection of the PE sheet did indeed reveal contamination with embedded mystery bits of something that looks like sawdust.  However, it's mostly clean & clear.  I should be able to use at least 90% of it.

If I come up with a serviceable cap, I'll share it with the list.  On the other hand, If my caps blow up and spew oil all over my garage, I'll discard the evidence and deny any involvement with homebrew caps!

Cheers,

Greg