From: jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re:Pros and cons
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 20:01:42 -0800

Steve Ward wrote:
> Hi Dex,
>
> Glad you could chip in here a bit, i was having trouble finding any good
> references for coils with discharges much longer than the top voltage would
> suggest.  More comments

I suspect that most coils are in this category. at 30kV/cm, 200-300kV
(which is probably a typical topload voltage for a small NST coil) would
only support a spark of 7-10cm, and sparks much longer than that are common.

The difficulty is multifold:

The field is very non-uniform, which tends to lead to longer sparks,
even in a single shot environment (Bazelyan and Raizer's book talks
about this a lot, in connection with EHV and UHV transmission systems
and switchgear)

you have multiple pulses which can successively extend the spark through
a previously ionized channel.

As an obvious indication of unusual behavior, a lot of coils have sparks
longer than the distance from topload to base, without arcing over the
secondary coilform.