Re: [TCML] Re:Pros and Cons

Sounds like a reasonable solution.  Its good to have someone with the
experience of driving series HV switches.

About the 25 foot discharges (maybe off by a factor of 2, maybe not), this
occurs because of an effect we call "streamer growth".  Above some
repetition frequency, the previous spark event leaves a heated air channel
for the next spark event to travel along, and further extend its reach.
Measurements of large tesla coils revealed that the peak top voltage was
significantly less than the spark length suggested.  Anyway, the spark can
typically grow to perhaps 3X the "single shot" length (the single shot
length follows the generic kV/cm type figures you see quoted).  So on a
single shot basis, 800kV is in the 1 meter range, but as you exceed about
60pps, this streamer growth phenomena starts to show up and you might see 2
meter long sparks.  At 100pps you might see 2.5 meter sparks, and at say 300
pps it might be a full 3 meters long.  So essentially, once a spark
*starts*, and you provide sufficient power (in pulse per second) it *will*
grow much longer!

Anyway, i seem to recall DC Cox claiming that his "Big Bruiser" Tesla coil
(which makes about a 25 foot spark at peak) only generated about 850kV.  If
DC could supply the specs on his primary/secondary L/C and peak charge
voltage, we could figure out the theoretical maximum secondary voltage.

Greg Leyh also has some big coils and perhaps has some secondary voltage
measurements?

So i know pretty much nothing about the DUT, but if it has any exposed radii
of less than maybe 6", its likely a spark will break out and grow to very
huge lengths if operating at 100pps.  To me it sounds like a fairly good
challenge to suppress spark formation at 800kVAC!

Steve