From: jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re: Sculpture with Tesla coils
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 10:17:30 -0800

Dex Dexter wrote:
> People installed the mesh cages it and measured the
> EMI effectiveness  protection it offers.
>
> http://www.ttr.com/its_model9.html
>
> But I don't know the data.
> Mary should better contact W.Wysock for that matter.
>
> Dex

Bill just says "provides control", but doesn't provide any quantitative
data.  As DaveP pointed out, you CAN do EMI/EMC control with a suitable
cage, but it's non-trivial to do a good job.

You need to have some quantitative objective:  To a first order, the
field inside (close to the coil) is on the order of several 100kV/meter.
  Do you want 60dB attenuation? (to 100V/meter) or 80dB (to 10V/m) or
100dB (to 1V/m).  The latter is pretty challenging.

http://ewh.ieee.org/soc/embs/comar/interfer.htm
"The prevailing international standard for the RF immunity of medical
devices is the 1993 revision of the International Electrotechnical
Commission (IEC) Standard IEC 601-1-2. This standard sets a minimum
immunity level of 3 volts per meter (V/m) in the 26-1000 MHz frequency
range."

Or, are you just looking to not interfere with some sort of radio?
Or to not destroy a victim radio?

Experiment: Put your cell phone in a microwave oven: a shielded
enclosure designed to attenuate 2.4 GHz from the several hundred watt
level inside to less than 2 mW/cm^2 outside. It's got gaskets, mesh,
solid metal walls, etc.  Call the cell phone and see if it rings.