RE: [TCML] Latest TC results, and one strange one....

(Long delayed reply...)

> It looks like you may be seeing artifacts from the camera's optical
> system or (more likely) the camera sensor and electronics.
> These "ghost"
> artifacts often show up when electronically photographing
> bright sparks
> or lightning.

Another interesting flash happened a few years ago and I happened to see
it.  This sequence was captured by a traffic camera operated by WVUE-TV,
New Orleans, Louisiana.

I saved the video frames that day and have then online for you if you
want to waste a few minutes.

They are available at: http://w5jgv.com/special/lightning/

The individual frames are in sequence.  The .ZIP file contains all the
frames in case you want to download them for further inspection.

Notice the ghost flash in the second frame.  Thos flash is visible one
frame (1/30 second) before a bright flash that occurs in the following
frame.

Is this a real leader flash or a ghost image?

The remainder of the sequence shows a multi-flash cloud to ground strike
several miles away from the camera.

73,

Ralph   W5JGV - WD2XSH/7