Re: [TCML] Not an Oudin coil (was: Re: Single ear piglet)

Hi Aaron,

I know this topic is about safety concerns, but regarding the statement/question below, I would personally answer "sort of". An auto-transformer uses the same winding for both primary and secondary. Although the later Oudin coils electrically connect sec and pri in an auto-transformer configuration, it is still two separate windings with the thin wire secondary inserted into the field of the primary (unlike Oudin's first configurations). Our Tesla coils even when connecting the rf ground to both windings are still Tesla coils denoted by their resonant configuration. This is what really separates a Tesla coil from other coil configurations. If you take a classic Oudin configuration and tune it so that the primary is resonant with the secondary, then you have turned it into a Tesla coil regardless of the two coils having a common connection or not. If the Oudin coil is simply wound for a turns ratio with no regard to resonance, then it resembles an auto-transformer (except for the two different windings).

Take care,
Bart

J. Aaron Holmes wrote:
An Oudin coil is an autotransformer, yes?