Re: [TCML] Questions on grounding

Hi Joe, Bryan,

The pipe gap has been around along time. TCBOR (Tesla Coil Builders of Richmond) put the pipes into a cylinder to focus the air flow through and around the pipes. I've used this method myself with success. Here's a photo of my little gap (the air is sucked in from the back).
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/s2752.jpg

The gap is pretty simple. I used ready to go 1.25"D x 3"L copper tubes and epoxied to the inside of the white pvc (spaced .05" between pipes). A slightly larger pvc was epoxied to the fan (a high volume fan). The white pvc with pipes simply slips into the green colored pvc. In the photo I show the previous brass stock (yuk, no good). The pipes were far superior. I've ran this gap 30 minutes continuous without any degradation.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/ba45/s2841.jpg

Note, the NST used in the above low pixel photo was a 12kV 60mA with 1/2 shunts removed (200mA after the modification) which is why sparks are long on the little 4.5"D coil. But the gap handles the power just fine. Someday, I would like to compare a hyperbaric gap to this particular gap (which I've been very happy with).

Take care,
Bart

bryan_es@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey Joe, I don't remember who came up with this gap design originally so please forgive but a static gap I have used on smaller coils in the past was made of several pieces of 1 inch copper pipe bolted to a non-conductive backing. They get warm and pull air up through the middles of the individual pieces which helps cooling a little. The gaps were 3/16s each if I remember right. I've long since forgotten all the details but you can adjust the gap spacing by varying the number of pipes in the gap. You can later add to the efficiency by using the fans you mentioned. I'm sure some of the more experienced guys can fill in the details but that should help you get started on a little better gap that the two carriage bolts and angles we all start out with. ;)