From: DC Cox <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] VTTC-tuning. John got me started ;-)
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 21:40:31 -0700
snip>
I double confirmed this by using single shots across a large 1 MEV antique
X-ray tube, and be careful measurement of X-rays, was able to confirm the
voltage was
equal to my simple spark gap measurements.

A coil producing 15 ft. sparks at 15 kVA, showed a max peak potential of 985
kV.  The spark gap distance in single shot pulsed DC mode was only 6 ft.
Much less than the full power
operation.

The math, however, is the same.  A coil produces the same potential whether
it is running in single shot mode or operating at 500 pulses/sec.  The spark
at high rep rate is much longer
due to the continuous pumping of the ion field above the coil, and also due
to certain metastable decays of ions in or near the spark channel.

Be comparing sparkgap measurements with X-ray measurements, and also Terry
Fritz's work, a simple equation emerges:

Vsec = Vpri x 70% x SQR (Ls/Lp).

My measurements were also in close agreement with pulsed field mode
measurements made on an "antenna" system developed by Terry Fritz several
years ago  Terry was kind enough to lend me his antenna system, and I did a
calibration with a 200 kV DC X-ray power supply on a toroid atop an unground
Tesla transformer.  The antenna was calibrated accurately at 200 kV with it
being placed at a distance of 12 feet from the toroid.  Then by running the
coil in single pulsed DC mode we could take calibrated measurements of the
max peak output.

All the math analysis techniques were reported in several references in Mark
Denocoli's paper on Resonance Transformers.  See the appendix of his
excellent paper.  Many of the equations worked out 50 years ago by Drude,
et. al., are still accurate today.

So, you can take all kinds of measurements, some simple, some complex, but
the equation listed above will be a reliable indicator of your coil's
potential.  All you have to do is hook up a nice Wavetek meter, take the
inductance measurements, then do some math based on the spark gap firing
voltage, and you have the answer.

snip>

Regards,

Dr. Resonance