Re: [TCML] VTTC-tuning. John got me started ;-)

Hi Dex,

Top volt measurement is obviously important for verification, but it also opens up some interesting streamer loading details. If both top volts and base currents are measured simultaneously, then data is available that can look at these effects. Quoting from Paul, /"We want to know how much charge flows into/out of the streamer load on each cycle of the beat, and how much energy is dissipated in the process. We want to see how much, and how sharply this limits the topvolts rise below the value predicted without breakout. We also wish to see just what the breakout voltages are in order to see if a particular surface field strength threshold is involved."
/
These are some of the things that could be analyzed with an accurate and reliable top volts measurement method (such as we can do with base currents now). Analysis of that data will lead to more questions. As Paul once stated, "/it opens up quite a pandoras box/". There are various aspects of this data that each coiler would find more interesting than another. I personally would like to know if a field surface charge can be predicted for breakout on a given coil geometry so that we can easily predict 1) breakout 2) energy into the streamer 3) performance of the coil. If these things can be looked at ahead of time, there are many different geometries we could look at and how they will perform. We do have empirical means of this now, but it would be great to have a model software capable of this type of design ability. I personally believe that this is one of the great goals we as a society of coilers should seriously look at.

I will take a look at your derivation on your equation and get back to you.

Take care,
Bart

Dex Dexter wrote:
No,I got nothing clever on  mind regarding direct measurments of top volts.
But if you know exactly current distribution along the secondary,than you
can calculate toroid voltage very accurately.If the system works at fo than bigger the
toroid better the method of estimatimation I propose becouse the coefficient c
in the formula V=c*L*di/dt approaches 1 (current is almost evenly distributed along the coil).
Since coilers like to install comparatively quite a big toroids on the secondary these days,and
it is easy to measure secondary bottom currents,I think this of estimation should work reasonably
well.BTW,why is so important to know top volts very preceisely?

Dex <snip for bandwidth>