Re: [TCML] Bifilar Winding

Hello Phil.

> If a primary on a transformer was wound with 100 turns of bifilar magnet
> wire, would you need to replace it with 200 turns of single magnet wire
> or 100 turns, to get the same volts per turn in the secondary (leaving
>  aside
> inductance & resistance issues)
For the same voltage you need the same number of turns, ( almost ) no
matter what diameter and how many parallel wires. Parallel conductors
behave like a single one as long as they are wound on the same core.
Two inductors on two cores otoh give half the inductance when wired
in parallel....

> Each conductor is surrounded by its own magnetic field, but if it is a
> bifilar conductor is it surrounded by two?
By one composed of the two, each carying half the current, giving half the
field adding up to a field that represents the total current... just as
a single inductor would that would carrry all the current allone

> I have read that transformers use this arrangement to get better > > > >
> coupling,
indirectly, you can get more cross sectional area into the same windo size
than with one single, bigger, round conductor. Another solution would
be to use wire with a rectangular cross section.

> but if 'better coupling' is the same as increasing the number of turns,
no. it roughly speaking describes how much influence the
coils can have on each other or how close the field couples.  Whe you wind
with 2 smaller wires, the coils become smaller and the overall size of the
windigs becomes smaller, meaning they are closer together.
Its a bit more complicated that that, bout it should give you an idea of
awhat is going on there. Core types and Coil posotion also has a lot to do
with it.

> not go down that route initially. You could get a larger gauge single
> conductor offering the same lower resistance value, but taking up less
> physical space on the former.
Thats just not true I think, but if you wind by hand and don't manage to
wind really tight this is what you might end up with...
You could make 2 seperate windungs of the same inductance ( this
translates not nesseserily into "same number of turns" ) and connect
these in parralel, maybe even with a paralleling choke ;-) physically
the same, but if its easier to wind I'll leave to you.

> As transformers are concerned primarily with just magnetic lines of > >
> force,
> the situation may be different to Tesla usage.
It does change a lot about the coupling thing, but not really defies the
laws of physics. There are additional factors, but the principle remains
the same.

Best regards

Christoph Bohr