Re: [TCML] small coil resurrection time

Hi Scott,

For a Halloween exhibition, 10 awg is fine. No need to go bigger for this type of fun with a coil. As far as the caps, I've seen them offered somewhere before, but I'm not aware of anyone using them in TC service. Experiment before hand. They may work out great. Keep an eye out for heat. Try a 30 second run, check for heat, and if cool, your good to go within reason (maybe then do a 1 minute run). If they get warm, then just reduce your time on. For low cost caps, you can't go wrong. Who knows, maybe these caps will handle TC service in long runs like the CD caps (kind of doubt it, but only testing will reveal the truth).

Best regards,
Bart

Scott Bogard wrote:
Hey guys,
I am in the process of resurrecting my 3-in tesla coil just in time for an informal Halloween presentation to the neighbors (with a number of improvements, like a 4-in secondary, so it is pretty much a new coil.) Anyway I have a question, I plan on using 10AWG for the tank wiring (it is OBIT powered, 3 in parallel for 10kV at 69mA with 30nF cap) would there be any advantage to using 1/4 inch copper tubing or will some solid wire 10AWG be fine, I'm not sure which is more expensive. Since this coil will be borrowing my Sync gap and nice control box normally used by my larger coil, I don't want to sacrifice any significant performance for a few dollars. Perhaps I should use thicker wire yet, any thoughts would be appreciated. Also I am using some super cheap surplus caps I found on electronic goldmine,
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G16864
Has anybody used these and if so how good were they, I know it is dangerous to use surplus stuff but I figure they will be a step up from pickle jar caps I used to use, and if they break, it didn't cost me much! Thanks.

Scott Bogard.