[TCML] Is it really important to dry the PVC pipe?

This topic has been discussed many times and has always puzzled me. Over the years I've built a number of Van de Graaf generators, large and small, some of which used PVC columns of verious types. I have always washed them with soap and water at the beginning and dried them with a towel and then a hair dryer. After that I've never seen real evidence of the reduced column resistance and output which I'd expect if the things were absorbing much moisture. The only times I've had to "refurbish" the columns has been after extended running which dust accumulated inside and resulted in internal sparking. A repeat of the soap and water plus drying restores them. So, question:

Is a TC more susceptible to the effects of moisture in the coil form than the VDG? Seems hard to believe consdidering the difference in power levels.

Ed

This question is unrelated to the coating of a finished winding to hold the windings in place and provide additional insulation. That's a different matter entirely.