Re: [TCML] New 3.5" Coil - A kick in the right direction please!

Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for your reply!

TOTAL information overload! But cannot complain, imagine where we
would be if noone was willing to share their
thoughts/research/ideas/solutions/expertise? I shudder at the thought!

Yes I agree, my 620 turn 1.5" coil at 10:1 hd proved that to me! It
was therefore indeed the 'concept' of an "optimized" coil that sent me
on my journey of discovery ... and gave me a headache! LOL

Again, I cannot complain as ALL of the info, even the contradictory
stuff, will come in handy at some point in the future! What I must do
however is to remind myself that optimizing more than a single
variable "at a time" is generally counter-intuitive (at least for me)
as it makes it very difficult to pin-point the 'cause' or 'source' of
any unexpected results, good or bad, when it is all up and running. I
think my personal mantra from now on will have to be "Imagine if they
had started building Rome, from scratch, every day!"

On to the issue of the resonant frequency and the 1/4 wave stuff.
Thank you for your comments on this, although I disagree to some
extent with some of what you said, that was exactly the type of "kick"
I needed to ... get my head out of the spreadsheet and rather go get
my hands dirty in the workshop! *grin*

On the rare occasion that I am in the kitchen and cooking up a storm,
I find it wholly impossible to cook anything using the exact
quantities and ingredients shown in a recipe book; at the same time
however, serving up a slap dash, bland, and wholly unexciting  meal,
is not somthing I could ever do!

Thus, I hope you'll understand (and forgive me) when I say that my
intention is not, and never will be, to build some "screwed-up piece
of junk" to "make sparks", and if I am to dedicate time, finances, and
effort to this project; then I HAVE TO aim a little higher than
building a coil that works "pretty good"!

My apologies, that might have sounded a little harsh and was not my
intention. I know that I am new to the list and am "just starting out"
but I am also not some kid slapping together some school project! ...
I am a 40 year old KID and I take my TOYS very seriously indeed!!!
*grin*

Ok, on to the good stuff, you mentioned that there is no "best"
frequency! I do understand that all coils, given the opportunity to do
so, will create 'spark', no matter what frequency they are running at;
however, from what I have read and the photos I have seen of coils
from all over the world, I am almost sure that the frequency of the
coil plays a large role in deciding the TYPE of spark, the parameters
of that spark, it's behaviour, and it's affect (yes, it's effect as
well).

I am of course well aware that Tesla did not invent his coils for the
sake of "pretty sparks" but we live in a different time and the fact
is that the "technical stuff" is wasted on friends and neighbours, the
only thing that impresses them is the "pretty sparks"! In addition to
that I do also have a slightly competitive nature and it is IMPORTANT
for me to be able to say things like ... "yours might be BIGGER but
mine is more EXCITING ... and can last longer than yours!" ...
*chuckle*

Jokes aside, I do think that there is indeed a "best frequency"
(range) for any given application of the TC. In fact, maybe there
should be (if I am right) a seperate section added to JAVATC which
would allow you to specify the parameters for your "application" of
the TC during the design stage and the option of allowing the program
to come up with most of the other design parameters for your new coil.
Assuming sufficient data was available to make it possible for the
program to do the necessary calculations I am convinced that coil
parameters like it's operating frequency range will be at least as
important as it's other base parameters, at least in the design stage!

Or not???

Again, Greg, thank you for your comments and the kick, all most
appreciated and I look forward to hearing more from you! oh ... and
again my apologies if anything I said sounds harsh or derogatory,
there was no such intent in the slightest. (Being very cautious
because as much as I am "outspoken", I am also still new here and
really NEED and appreciate you and everyone else on the list ... else
I'd have to give up my Tesla dreams and take up skittles or extreme
snakes n' ladders or somthing! ... *chuckle*)

Happy coiling!
Grant
Randburg, South Africa