Re: [TCML] Winding a secondary?

Hi Mark,

I did exactly the same on my 13.5" diameter coil 10 years ago. I added about 18 inches of length to the coil by soldering the new wire to the existing wire and then turning the coil upside down so that the soldered section was on the bottom of the entire form. The added length, turns, and L, all culminated into a much better coil for sparks (which was the goal). BTW, significant improvement was noted. Both spark gap and coil were changed. Spark lengths doubled. The reason they doubled is that the coil was extremely inefficient to begin with. The gap and turns helped incredibly.

I agree, once the added secondary turns are wound, make this the lower portion of the coil if possible. It simply prevents high voltage problems with the area where work was performed.

Take care,
Bart

Mark Olson wrote:
Rob,

If I were to splice my secondary winding, and I may,
I would make the splice where it is in the lower part of the coil.

My coil has 777 turns of #17 wire on it and I would like to add
about 300 more turns.  Fortunately, my coil's construction lends
itself for this:  the coilform is long enough;  it extends through the
base of the frame by a couple of feet.  Since the top of the coil
doesn't need any modification, I plan to add the wire to the low
voltage end of the secondary and simply raise the coilform
appropriately.

Marko
KC5GYM