Re: [TCML] surge arrestor for pole pig

I've got a few of each kind, but haven't busted open any of the newer ones, so I'm not sure what the MOV ones look like inside.  The SiC elements in the older porcelain-housed ones were black and rough like grinding wheel material.

Here's a doc from Cooper that tries to illustrate the differences in response and leakage current, etc., of modern MOV (1990's) versus SiC arresters:
http://www.cooperpower.com/library/TheLine/pdf/may06/MOVVogelArticleLine.pdf

This doc, of course, is basically an advertisement, so bear that in mind.  I found a seemingly more impartial paper describing the differences a couple of years ago, and wish I'd saved it.  There appear to be some IEEE publications on this subject too, but they have you jump through all kinds of hoops to get that stuff.

Anyway, I see those rubber-housed MOV elbow arresters go by on eBay all the time.  Just seems like, if you can get the modern stuff for the same $$ (maybe less, because the porcelain ones are going to be heavier and more expensive to ship), then it's probably goodness.

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE