Re: [TCML] Handmade Vacuum Tubes Video: Build A Better 811A Mousetrap?

Yeah, I realize the decrease in breakdown voltage that occurs. I thought one could compensate by using a wider gap. Do you think submerging the tube in a lower than (water) freezing temperature would work? Liquid nitrogen? I'm not sure about the stress on the glass, though, Pyrex or not.

Neal.

Hi Neal,

Actually, a partial vacuum DECREASES the breakdown voltage
for a given gap spacing, so you would really be going the wrong
direction with this endeavor. It was brought up in a recent earlier
discussion that a blower (positive pressure) gap would probably
outperform a sucker (negative pressure) gap for this very reason.
Of course, as you also mentioned, removal of excess heat would
also be a real issue here.

--
David Rieben