Re: [TCML] Handmade Vacuum Tubes Video: Build A Better 811A Mousetrap?

Hi Neal,

Simple explanation: It's a small piece of material that has an affinity for
oxygen when it is heated, that is placed inside of vacuum tubes . It's the
little thingy usually in the bottom of a tube that looks like a doughnut or a "U"
shaped piece of wire with the getter material stretched across the top. After
the tube is pumped and sealed, an induction heater is brought up to the side
of the tube and placed next to the getter, causing it to get red hot and
activate the getter material. It then scavenges the last few oxygen molecules from
inside the tube and traps them. It can also cause the silver or rainbow
mirroring around the getter, which also acts to trap other molecules between the
silvering and glass.

Tony Greer

In a message dated 9/12/2008 5:41:59 PM Central Daylight Time,