Re: [TCML] Handmade Vacuum Tubes Video: Build A Better 811A Mousetrap?

Sfxneon@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Dave,
That's a mighty ambitious what if! Certainly not impossible, but it would be more of a learning experience than a new source for 811's. Not only is the glassworking part fraught with a lot of not-so-obvious difficulties, but so is getting and keeping a good enough vacuum inside the tube during operation.

I don't think it's all that tricky.. Anyone who's worked with high vacuum systems has probably dealt with all the elements needed at one time or another, and, in fact, a lot of the pieces are available from places like Duniway or JK Lesker.

I would suggest folks not use a glass envelope, but, rather, use metal or ceramic in some form. One less thing to have to do. In fact, you could mount all the leads on a Conflat or similar flange.

One can get the feedthroughs (braze in) as an off the shelf part.

Tungsten wire is readily available (it's used to make invisible suspensions for magicians, commercials, and store displays)

What you're talking about is not much more difficult than, say, building a fusor or almost any other sort of ion beam apparatus.

I suggest taking a look at "the BellJar" (a newsletter devoted to vacuum experimenters) and at the book "building scientific apparatus" by Moore, et al.

The art is in getting high performance...

you WILL need some form of really high vacuum, but I suspect that some form of simple sorption pump cooled with LN2(see, e.g., The Amateur Scientist) followed by a suitable getter would probably work. Fooling with a diffusion pump is best left for folks running a factory, and turbomoleculars are for those with lots o'cash or very good scrounging luck.

On the other hand, if you want to return to the roots and use a Sprengel pump filled with pounds of mercury, make your own graded seals, smelt your own tungsten.

There's a lot of metelurgy that goes into the selection of the materials for the elements, heater and support wires too, along with inserting and firing the getter material.

You can buy the getters.

It looks like the guy in the video built a lot of specialized
tools and equipment that he uses and has a really well equiped machine shop at his disposal, and knows how to use it.

Definitely something where you need a clean machine shop. For building all the electrodes, something like a spot welder or jeweler's oxy hydrogen torch might be useful.

Take a look at the fusor people, and see what they're using to make their grids.

The video actually left out a lot of
important steps that were just too tedious and involved to be included in the movie clip. That said, I'd still be interested in helping with the glasswork and the evacuating part if you are really interested in building the innards. I'm always up to a good "it can't be done" challenge! Tony Greer