Re: [TCML] using an AC breaker for DC

Nick Andrews wrote:
Okay, so this is marginally on topic, as it also applies to power
cabinets for coils, etc.  The question is, can you safely use
125VAC-rated breakers on a DC circuit for 72VDC in a solar power
application as a battery disconnect?  I told my brother that it was
harder for a DC arc to extinguish, but that I thought they would be
okay as a disconnect.  But I wanted the opinion of the power
engineers here, so thanks for any input...

Check the NEC for the "rules".. There's all sorts of stuff pertaining to solar panels in there.

But, to a first order, no you cannot use 125VAC rated breakers for a DC installation for just the reason you describe.

The disconnect may not be "overcurrent protection", but you still need to be able to break the connection under load.