Re: [TCML] variac

Hey Jay...

there are 2 possible situations going on here.
1. Sometimes a power surge ( rapid current usage) occurs when power is applied to a Variac of substantial size. 2. The load attached to the Variac could be pulling more than 15 A. With the combination of both variac and load pulling current at once is a bit too much for the breaker.

If you have access to the breaker ( instead of calling Maint. each time it goes off) try setting the variac to 50% with the load NOT attached to the Variac, turn on Variac, turn Variac to 0%, attach load and then bring up the voltage to prefered running capacity. If that doesnt work, repeat the process but at a starting point of 80-85 instead of 50. And a final idea, see if one of the physics or electronics labs has higher current sockets available.... I'd try the electronics labs first ( they will more likely to want to see it and help if they can).

Scot D

jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hey guys i just got my 22.5 amp 0-140v variac in the mail. I thought that the power here in my dorm was 30 amp but no its 20 so needless to say I had to get maintnence to come flip my breaker back on. grr
Is there a way I can limit the current going into it so that it would be take  10-15 amps from the wall.  With out taking away my ability to go from 0-140 volts.

Thanks,
Jay H.