Re: [TCML] New Tesla Coil

Hi Gareth,
Here is the deal with MOTs, first wire the center two primaries in parallel, connect the cores and see if you can draw an arc form the two HV outputs (the other two mots at this point should be in another room entirely, not hooked up to anything at all, this is important.) The cores should NOT be grounded at this point, just hooked together. You should ballast the primaries with your spare MOT, make sure you hook the ballast HV to the core of the Ballast MOT. You should be able to draw about 4 in spark (101 mm, 10 cm) if no reverse the hookup on ONE PRIMARY ONLY. Then wire your next MOT by connecting the primary in parallel to the other primaries, and hooking the hot of your second MOT to the core of your third. Attempt to draw an arc from the third MOT HV output to the cores of the center MOTs, it should arc nicely, try flipping the primaries and see which way arcs better, leave it that way. Do the same for the other side using your fourth MOT. Lastly arc together the HV outputs of your end mots, and you should get 6 in of spark (150mm ) if you get a weakish spark start flipping outer primaries until it gets longer, just remember to change one at a time, and leave your center MOTs alone, then you can ground your center cores if you wish. A word about your secondary, 16-in tall is EXTREMELY small for a 4 MOT coil, capable of putting out 3000+ Watts, you really should go with a much smaller power supply for a coil this size, otherwise you risk damaging your secondary. At the very least your secondary will greatly limit your spark length. 2 (yes 2) MOTS can drive a 10 foot arc with a large secondary and an efficient SISG solid state spark gap. You should really consider a larger 6in (150+ mm) diameter secondary with around 27 in (685 mm) length, with 24 AWG magnet wire (.511 mm) this will give you much bigger sparks and be able to utilize much more of your power output. Or perhaps use a smaller power supply with your secondary, like a few OBITs or a big ol' NST. that will give you "more appropriate" power. In any event, best of luck to you, and I hope you can figure out your MOT situation.

Scott Bogard.

kingsandangels@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey everyone, Bart Im building a secondary of 75mm diameter with .35mm wire I want it 1200 turns which will give me 420mm height which is more than 375mm (5:1 ratio) What do you think is best for performance,Can I go more than 5:1 ratio? Oh we also get polyuathane but in varnish for floors only,is that correct? Can fiberglass resin also do the trick?The spark length on my 4 mots dont look long and you supposed to use a rotary spark gap,can anyone help me with mots(Is it also necessary to disconnect the outer mots from the core to prevent arcing?) Bart whats your take on my secondary? Im going to take my secondary and my copper sphere to the UK and make more! Thanks again Gareth