Re: [TCML] Life Magazine historic photo archive

Hi Dave,

I believe that is actually an inclosed Van de Graf
generator. That does look like a primary coil that
the technician is standing on, though doesn't it?
I have seen other images of this same piece and
I believe it was identified as a VDG.
BTW, did anyone notice the "ghost" painter
piering down at the technician in this photo?
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/f?q=high+voltage+source:life&imgurl=bda8429bbe7891df

David Rieben"

I think it has to be a VDG because a TC would never work inside a close-fitting metal vacuum tank such as the one shown. Sure looks like a primary in the base but too big and close to the metal surroundings.

Ed