Re: [TCML] Quadruple stack of 1156 or 1256 Superior Variac

Hey David...

I may have you beat by just a little ;) excluding the ballast, piggie, and ASRG ( which are in another case due to size and weight constraints) got the quad stack 1256's motorized and controlled by a variac, 2 huge Comcor filters, 2 paralelling chokes, relays for momentary and constant on mode. The other side of the cabinet is set up for DC voltage consisting of delay timers to charge the cap bank ( about 96 400uF/400V electrolytics in paralell) during inital turn on, a massive full wave bridge, linear pass bank for current control, circuit breakers, and all sorts of volt and amp meters for both AC and DC monitoring. DC side was made to power a 5 Watt Argon laser.

BTW Dave, what type of wheels do you have on your case?? If mine ever goes astray and gets off of the plywood and if any of the wheels get in the grass/dirt, I damn near need a tow truck to get it back onto the wood.... Im thinking I may want to go to 8"X2" hard rubber wheels... presently I have 5"X1.5" hard rubber.

Scot D

David Rieben wrote:

Hi Jim,

Yes, I got an even better find than that when I got my
quad-stack 1256Ds a few years ago. Came with the
balancing chokes and the cabinet in which they were
mounted for $295 - about 630 lbs, total, including the
pallet. Got a deal on the freight charges too, only ran
me about $125. I employed this variac setup into my
Green Monster control panel and have never even
been able to get them the slightest bit warm, as I do
happen to "need" 31.4 kVA (;^). I love 'em and know
that I will probably never find another "deal" to beat
the one that I got on these. As a matter of fact, I still
have the empty cabinet in which they were mounted
sitting in my back yard - don't really have any current
use for it as I mounted the variacs into my own pre-
viously existing control panel cabinet.

BTW, I wonder if any other hobby coiler has a more
massive SINGLE unit control panel than mine (exclu-
ding the "pros",  i.e. KVA Effects, LOD, ect.) It contains
the quad-stack variac, the ~75 lbs. ballast choke, AND
the fully tanked 10 kVA pole pig, as well as the ARSG
variac and associated control circuitry! Estimate it to
weigh in the 1200 to 1300 lb. range!

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Mora" <wavetuner@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:28 AM
Subject: [TCML] Quadruple stack of 1156 or 1256 Superior Variac

Hi Group,

There is a quad stack of Superior variacs on Ebay sans drive motor. It has 4 balancing chokes too. $499.00 / offer By Cleveland, OH. Quite a find! Break
it down and sell some to the group and get your money back! 270307825808
Unless of course you need 31.4 KVA ;-))

Jim Mora