[TCML] Re: The truth about LTR, STR, and resonant modes

Hi Folks,

Don't know if this has much relevance to this thread, but below is  something
I posted here about nine years ago on the subject of a coil running in
resonate mode at 120 BPS using a static sucker gap (Gary Lau's design) instead  of
a SRSG.

> Malcome, John, Richie, Terry, and All,
> Just thought I'd report  on some observations while making adjustments to
> my 8" x 34", NST  powered coil that might have some relation to this
> thread. (Quick specs;  15,000 V / 150 mA NSTs. C=.0267 uF. Spark
> gap=static single gap with  vacuum airflow quenching (Gary Lau style) ,
> Variac input control to  NSTs. Transformer voltage and current were
> chosen to to resonate at 60  Hz with Maxwell pulse caps on hand.
> After cleaning and adjusting the gap  to about .36", I started to
> increase the Variac setting, while watching  the input Volt and Ammeter,
> and the output mA meter. The gap started  firing at about 30 Volts
> input, and at about 60 Volts or so, floating  streamers start to break
> out. At about 90 volts in, the Ammeter is  reading erratically between 25
> and 30 Amps, streamers are multiple and  about 3' long, and the noise
> from the gap and streamers is very ragged  and more like 'white noise'
> (many frequencies). But when 96 volts was  reached, input current
> SUDDENLY dropped to about 16 Amps, and the output  current dropped from 200
> mA to 100mA, and became very steady. Streamers  shrunk slightly (maybe
> 10-15%), but most noticeable was the different  sound of the gap and
> streamers. At between 96 and 98 Volts, the noise  became a steady buzz,
> like a single note. Probably firing in sync with  the line, because
> raising the Voltage past 98 Volts would again cause  the current to
> double and the noise would regain it's raspy sound, and  streamers
> regained their original length. Past this point, no other  'notch' was
> found, although streamers grow to almost 6' at 120Volts  input at about
> 35 Amps. Also, widening the gap to .375" moved this  'notch' up to 100 to
> 102 Volts. Another thing of interest is this  'notch' effect only happens
> for a few minutes after removing the oxide  from the spark gap (large
> copper end caps w/ 3/8" holes in the center  for airflow). After a few
> more minutes, the safety gaps start to fire. A  light sanding of the gap
> restores original performance...

Tony Greer

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.