Re: [TCML] power meter goes crazy

Dave,

I don't know about the power meter issues, but PFC definitely helps to  reduce
the input current and improve the power factor, but will not reduce  the
power draw.
Some NST's have a built-in PFC, but I'm assuming your's does not.

As an example, one of my NST's drew about 8 amps without PFC, but about 5
amps
with PFC.  The power factor was about 0.82 or so with PFC if I  remember
correctly.

John

davidnelson11@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I  have a cheap electronic (digital) power meter (about A$40). I put it in
line  with my 750W tesla coil >>(15/50 NST). Current varied from 3A to 8A -
NST is rated 3.6A. Power varied from 700W to 2200W and >power factor varied
wildly from 30% to 80%. Does this seem right. Is it because of the nature of  the
>meter? Interference from the coil? (about 4 meters away - 12 feet) Any
comments?

>I can't help thinking that a PFC will actually help me  out. I know this is
a can of worms but even with all >the discussion I am  still uncertain about
the need for a PFC cap. There are conflicting opinions I  think. >Any
(definative) advice for NST use would be greatly  apreciated.

>Thanks
>Dave Nelson

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.