Re: [TCML] The truth about LTR, STR, and resonant modes

DC,

Could you elaborate on your "plate current" comment, I don't quite understand. I am interested in adjusting an inductive ballast for a power factor corrected to 1 without a meter. How do you go about this and how do you know when you have reached the correct power factor? I'm using a 4 pack of mots for the power supply. Would this apply even though they are shunted?

DC Cox <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: In addition to tuning the cap, we also tune the ballast and power supply
with pole xmfrs to deliver the most efficient amount of current into the
system for optimum spark production at any given voltage setting.  We "dip"
the supply current using our ballast control, and when the power factor is
corrected back to 1.0 then you have max efficiency.  Longer sparks occur
when this setting is pushed up 10% but this does draw more current.  Very
similar to tuning a ham radio transmitter in which the operator "dips" the
plate current to find the best resonant point before pushing higher power
into the system.  To do this properly one needs a power factor meter,
however, lacking one, you can also do it by carefully monitoring your "plate
current" and then adding 10% after the dip.

Similar to what John is discussing.

Dr. Resonance