Re: [TCML] PFC Question (again)

Hi John,

Even a small 10kva pig is LTR at 0.3uF which is huge for most coils (primary inductance "and" power across the gap). Have you ever tried a .3uF cap in a coil in a garage? I think Kevin is running a couple pigs and a rotary (no doubt). This is nearing a 0.7uF cap size "if LTR" which is huge! It's possible that a few like Kevin "might" be running LTR, but I think for the majority of pig or PT users (the garage coiler), the cap size is either resonant or STR from a standpoint of cost and energy.

My comment is aimed toward the "majority" of pig and pt users. It is an assumption on my part, but it's not hard to look at economy or even energy at the gap to dictate the need. I don't have recent data to support it, but past data does. In this area, I doubt much has changed. The economy really sucks the last few years and I doubt much change has taken place to allow large capacitances or the cost of the gaps needed (or the AC supply current to allow this). Probably a few out there, but I really doubt it is the norm.

Take care,
Bart

FutureT@xxxxxxx wrote:
Bart, Deano,
PT powered systems run very nicely at 120 bps with resonant or slightly
LTR cap values.  They  give an excellent power factor.  I think Kevin
Eldredge's Biggg Coil is running resonant or LTR also, using dual pig power and giving 24 foot sparks at 120 bps sync. No PFC is needed for such systems. Usually running somewhat LTR gives smoother running than resonant as explained in Morecroft's book of 1924, "Principles of Radio Communications", (yes, LTR concepts are not new). Cheers,
John