Re: [TCML] PFC Question (again)

Hi Deano,

David Dean wrote:
Question - can anyone explain these effects
Power factor correction is about resonance. If the current drawn from the supply was decreasing, that can only mean that the circulating current in the rest of the circuit had to be increasing. When it started to issue sparks, that was a load which threw things back out of balance.
Back out of balance? Please explain.
and should I only parallel the PFC with the input of the PT only and not
the main input to the PT and its ballast?

Absolutely not. It is the inductance of the ballast that is working with?/against? the PFC cap to reduce the current drawn from the source.
This is the first I have heard of not connecting the PFC's directly across the low voltage mains. Please explain in more detail why not. This is the only connection I've heard about on the TCML over the years and here you are saying not to do that. Is not the inductance of the ballast felt across the transformer?

You sound like your very knowledgeable in this area and I would really like to understand more about power factor correction. It's been a goofy subject on the TCML over the years and none of us I guess are very well experienced in this area.

Take care,
Bart