Re: [TCML] SISG Damage Report

I've certainly made the SIDAC's in the module hot by trying to run a ridiculously small coil at ?1MHz. I suspect that in normal use the heating is minimal and that the low current SIDAC variety (easier to get) will be OK. I would be a bit surprised if heatsinks helped. Has anyone measured the temp with an IR thermometer?
Peter
www.tesladownunder.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "bartb" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Phil,

If you do heatsink the Sidac's, I expect you'll tie all 3 Sidac's together at each module? I would be interested if that causes any problems. I don't expect it to as the tab (pin 2) is not tied to anything on the board, but not sure if tying pin 2 to the other Sidac's would cause any changes in switching (I'm not sure where it's tied internally and the data sheet simply says not to use pin 2). But if the Sidac's are getting hot, then it makes sense to sink them. However, if it's simply due to a strike and the Sidac's are remaining cool, then sinking the Sidac's won't help.

Something that has confused me a little here is that you think the boards took direct strikes. If that's the case, the Sidac's aren't really the problem. They are however the sharpest point on the board and are probably likely to be hit by a strike if allowed. I'm curious, are they getting hot!

Take care,
Bart