Re: [TCML] For the SISG experienced out there

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the great advice. For DC charging in the past, I also used a series of diodes, but thought I would just go the route of some hv diodes to keep construction easy. I'll be using 15kV diodes, but it sounds like it might be wise to double up and series 2 per bridge leg.

Unless I do a voltage doubler or something, the 6 boards sounds like out of the question for the NST. So, the topology for firing a series of boards is per the 300V Sidac's at 3600V per board, so 3600V x 6 boards = 21.6 kV. It looks like for the 11 kV NST = 4 boards. Now, if I use my 14.4kV pig, a little over 5 boards. Maybe, I should just settle on 5 to make it easy and keep 1 board as a spare.

Are there any coil specific issues? For example, can I use a standard 8.5" x 40" coil with 9"x30" spun toroid? This coil is a bit lossy (wound with 24 awg at 1790 turns). Are there any preferences for cap sizes? If I use the pig, I'll likely go with my 60kV pulse caps at 0.06uF tank size.

My original plan (bought the 6 pcbs from Mark about a year ago) was to use 4 boards for an sisg coil and 2 boards to power my attempt at Tesla's flat coil at 1/2 scale. That coil is mostly done and maybe I should stick to that plan. If I use the 4 boards, I planned on the NST mentioned with my smaller 4.5"D coil. As you can see, I'm totally unsure if I should use existing coils or wind a new coil altogether for the sisg. So, if there are some "coil LC preferences", then that would likely dictate a new coil.

Oh, the NST was a 12/60, after removing some windings and shunts, 11/200 (nothing special, but it sure can dance).

Take care,
Bart