RE: [TCML] oil

My mind-reading powers are weak; I assume you're referring to what an NST or transformer might be immersed in?

After unpotting and repairing my NST, I filled the case with melted Vaseline jelly, so I would never have to worry about it spilling or leaking.  This has worked out well.

Given how difficult it was to remove the original asphalt, there was no way I was going to entomb it in that nasty stuff, in case I ever need to open it up again!

For bigger transformers, having a liquid oil assists with cooling as convection currents circulate the oil.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA